Sunday, July 13, 2008

Koolhaas hats all around!

Well I have been a busy bee ;) Since my last post, I've finished one project and started 3 more!! I am trying to get through my stash, haha, but that is hard to do when I keep adding more to it. But, I did decide to rip out the hat I started for Brent 3 years ago and use that yarn for a hat... one that is actually completed!! YAY! I know there are tons of free patterns out there, but I decided to buy one because it is just too cool to pass up. It's the koolhaas pattern from brooklyntweed.
I was using bigger needles than called for (9 instead of 8) and when I did 5 pattern repeats, it ended up too big/long.

charcoal-koolhaas-complete

I know Brent has a big head, but it came down below his eyes and he looked like that character from Fat Albert. Normally, I don't "frog" and reknit... too much wasted time and energy. Of course, I don't usually goof up that bad to warrant it. Brent said it was fine (he obviously didn't have to pull it down over his eyes), he was just happy that I had actually completed something for him. But it really bugged me. So, the next day, I frogged down to the 4th repeat and redid the crown. I think this says a lot about how I've grown as a knitter. I did this to preserve the integrity of the work, and I felt confident enough in seeing how the pattern worked that I wasn't afraid of all the loose stitches popping this way and that. I could tell exactly what round of the pattern I had gone down to, but I couldn't get my needle through the stitches without pulling the adjacent ones out. so I took my plastic yarn sewing needle and some of my fuchsia microspun and just grabbed all my stitches. I didn't worry about their direction until I put them back on my needle.

charcoal-koolhaas-reworked

After finishing it for the second time, it is the proper height and fits Brent nicely. I want one for myself, so I'll be using more of my stash to make a burgandy one. But for mine, I am modifying the pattern to make the lattice pattern overlap so it really looks woven.

redkool

I am using smaller needles for this one because it is DK weight yarn, so I am hoping it won't be too small, height-wise or tightness!!

No comments: