Friday, June 27, 2008

Working at my LYS

I am pretty excited because this summer I will be working at Stitch House for a few hours/week. I had been talking with the owner for a while now, about possibly instructing a crochet class, but apparently they haven't had enough people interested. I'm going to be working the shop and offering any "drop-in" lessons for knit or crochet on Saturday afternoons starting July 12. I will definitely be working for about a month, and probably through August. Brent will watch Asher, and I think it will be good for me to have that time away and be doing something for myself. Plus make a little extra cash, if I don't spend it all at the shop!! I have to find out if there is an employee discount ;)

Yesterday I actually worked for about 2 1/2 hours helping one of the other women from the beaded shawl class. She had ripped out all of what she did, so she was starting over. I cast on with my left over yarn and worked along with her to see where she needed help. I think she really understood it after our session, and I felt good about my teaching skills. Of course, it's easier to teach someone who already knows the basics of knit and purl, but I have attempted to teach total beginners too (with varying success).

I then bought some sale yarn, the sublime mohair for my Wisp, which came to almost as much as I will be paid for that tutoring session. See what I mean?!

No comments: